Monday, July 16, 2012

Here Goes Nothing!

Well, here goes nothing! After thinking about it for many months, I've decided to start a blog where I can share my feelings about TTC (Trying To Conceive) and anything else I'm inspired to write about. Anyone who knows me, also knows that food is guaranteed to make an appearance before too long. I've been trying a lot of new things lately: acupuncture, Chinese herbs, reading books, fertility friendly foods, meditation, voodoo chants....the usual stuff fertility challenged people do when TTC'ing,  so there should be no shortage of things to write about.

We started out on the journey of seriously TTC back in July 2011, after almost 3 years of "not preventing" pregnancy. I knew there was an issue when obviously not becoming pregnant during this time, and sought the help of my OB and later an RE (Reproductive Endocrinologist). I was diagnosed with "unexplained infertility" and was put on a fertility drug called Clomid, which helps women ovulate. Well, I'd like to petition the pharmaceutical companies to call this medicine what is really is, CloMAD....at least that is what it made me. Let's just say I did NOT like fertility medicine one bit. Plenty of women have had success with this drug mind you, but it has some horrendous side effects, all of which I would prefer not to experience ever again in my life....more on that later.

I decided to stop taking fertility medicine and actually got pregnant the very next month, only to miscarry shortly after. I was absolutely heartbroken, and truth be told, am still dealing with some very raw emotions from that experience.  It has been quite a roller coaster to say the least. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined the ups and downs this past year has brought; from the endless diagnostic testing, to the unanswered questions, to the many unexpected feelings that I now know are commonplace among women diagnosed with infertility.

I am still telling myself that somehow the dr.'s are getting it all wrong, and that's I'm not really infertile. However, as time marches on, and a little one has yet to make an appearance, I've also got to be realistic with the issue at hand. For now, I'm using a lot of Eastern medicine approaches to re-balancing my body's hormones so that I can hopefully conceive and carry a healthy pregnancy to term without the need of chemical laden, crazy lady inducing fertility meds. JUST RELAXING is not going to get me pregnant I'm afraid. Voo doo chants might not either, but at this point I'm willing to try them. ;)

3 comments:

  1. LOL at cloMAD....so true!! that stuff made me nuts too! I prefer femara over clomid for sure...but whatever works right!?? I would stand on my head and drown in BBQ sauce if it meant a sticky bean! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey at least your baby would come out with good taste in food if you did that! haha

      I didn't mention it in the post, but I did try Femara for one month as well...MUCH less side effects than Clomid. Actually, once I switched from an OB to an RE, that was the whole plan....to conceive using Femara. It just so happens my RE totally screwed up my chances that particular cycle with poor timing of meds, and that's when I said SCREW WESTERN MEDICINE. Think you just gave me an idea of what to blog about next!

      Delete
  2. CloMAD was the same for me. Not a fan at all. I actually know very few people who've taken this drug and liked it or even had much success with it. Pretty much if you don't O, it helps you O and that's bout it.

    I'm so glad you started this blog and thank you for being my inspiration to start one too. I know that sticky BFP is coming!

    ReplyDelete