Saturday, November 3, 2012

Screw chicken soup....I need a bubble bath and chemical peel for my soul!


Sometimes the very best therapy (other than telling the whole world what you REALLY think) is to do nice things for yourself. I think we can all agree I was in a major funk during my last post. Sorry, I can't be Pollyanna all the time as much as I would love to be. Nevertheless, I've spent enough time doing nice things for myself this past week to practically make it a part time job, and it's helped in a BIG way.

There's simply no excuse to have a bathtub as big and inviting as mine and to not use it. I think I'd taken a bubble bath maybe twice in the almost 4 years we've lived in our house?  Time to break out the 3 C's: Candles, Calgon, and Colbie Caillat.  I had forgotten how much I love a good bubble bath. I really should do this more often...

Calgon, take me away!

I'm not sure if I have mentioned this before, but most all of my aunts and uncles are complete looney tunes. True story...one of my uncles is a professional Santa Clause. He has actually attended Santa Clause school, grows his white beard down to his chest year round, and carries business cards advertising his special ability to be merry. Now there is nothing wrong with being lighthearted and cheery especially around Christmas, but in his case, he takes it a little too far. In fact, he has been known to walk into public places like restaurants and give a boisterous "Ho, Ho, Ho!" out of the freaking blue while people are eating their dinner....right in the middle of summer.  I mean come on!  Who does that?! I only have one normal uncle, Uncle Bob, and for him I am grateful. My cousins and I are still trying to figure out how my very normal and endearing grandparents gave birth to so many wackadoos.

Hubby's extended family on the other hand, is so normal compared to mine! It's no wonder I jump at the chance to attend his aunt & uncle's annual Halloween bash. They live about 3 hours from us in Houston, but it is so worth the drive. Not only are they our only relatives within 1000 miles, but they are also super cool, and I would totally ask them to adopt me if I could. Hubby and I always dress up together, and this year we went as Mile High Flight Crew. We like to throw in a little risque flavor at Halloween. No, we aren't really members of the Mile High Club, but we can pretend!

Mile High Captain Mimi Later & Mile High Pilot Hugh Jorgan...get it? hehe

I know what you are thinking and yes, I am one lucky girl. ;) Here is one of us being silly...

Halloween Photobooth Fun

We were in bed by 1 am, but I still needed the rest of the day to recover after that one. Phew! Man, it is just really good to see family, especially when you don't have to worry about them doing crazy ass stuff to embarrass you. LOL  I can't wait for us to create our own little family and start lots of fun traditions and memories of our own.  I'm sure I have mentioned that before though, right?

We were home for the actual day of Halloween, but chose not to hand out candy. Honestly, I'm not trying to be anti-social. I'm sure that would have been a fabulous way to meet people in the neighborhood, but I just didn't feel like spending $50 on candy when I'm spending $5000 on fertility treatments, capish?! Remember, this week was all about doing stuff for MEEEEE.

I've opted to skip acupuncture this cycle and use that $ for a little preventative maintenance on the ole face as well. I haven't used any of my normal anti-aging regimens in a year and a half, because most things are contraindicated while TTC or pregnant. The effects of topical treatments like hydroquinone (bleaching cream) and Retin-A (anti-wrinkle cream) aren't really known but aren't recommended either. Growing up in FL has predisposed me to sun damage, which I will probably battle forever. With most sun damage and hyperpigmentation, even when you successfully get rid of it, it just pops back up eventually. Since I don't feel comfortable slathering chemicals on my face every night nowadays, I figured I'd do something that was a "one shot" type of thing and get a fairly mild/moderate PCA Peel prior to ovulation, when there is no possible way I am pregnant. Sure it feels like your face is burning off as they apply the solution during the treatment, but it's all worth it when a couple days later, you can literally see brown spots on your skin peel away, leaving fresh new soft & even skin revealed. It's pretty exciting stuff!

Today is CD14 and still no signs of ovulation in sight. Most "normal" people would be ovulating today, but not me. Even with Femara it comes late, but I am testing twice daily with OPK's. We have an ultrasound with Dr. Vaughn scheduled for Monday CD16, which is predicted to be the day before ovulation. At this time, we'll be able to see how my follicles and lining are progressing. If I ovulate 10 days after the last pill of Femara was taken (like last cycle) then this will be the best day to assess my response to the meds. We used the same 5 mg dosage as last cycle, so I'm hoping to respond just as well. If I do happen to get a +OPK before CD16, I'll just call to schedule an IUI in lieu of the ultrasound. I really don't think I'll get a +OPK this weekend though. I'm just not seeing any evidence of a test line showing up on the Wondfo OPK sticks right now....think I'm still a few days away from ovulating. We are babydancing leading up to ovulation of course, and I'm listening to my Circle + Bloom CD's religiously, trying to stay positive and visualizing all of the amazing things that are taking place in my body right now in preparation for a strong ovulation...just really hoping this IUI cycle will be our magic cycle.

November of last year was when I found out I was pregnant, and then miscarried later that same month. This month has the potential to end really well or really poorly. It's our 7 year wedding anniversary and Thanksgiving, but also the anniversary of some not so fun miscarriage memories.  We would really LOVE to get some exciting news this month. After 17 months of trying "by the book", I think we've put in our fair share of effort and deserve to become parents. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers if you are the praying type!

9 comments:

  1. I love the pics! Looks like you guys had a fantastic time!! Also, I can't believe you hardly use your bath. I LOVE me a bath and so many nights when life gets me, I just enjoy a warm bath, candles, and a bit of wine. It's like my little oasis. I made the mistake of having one AFTER the castor oil pack though and then trying to shave, so gotta clean the tub, kind of an oily mess. I do love my bath's though. Just so nice!

    I am so glad you've taken time to do things for YOU! I'm def the praying type and I am praying and keeping everything crossed that you get a BFP this round. That would make everything absolutely worth it! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amber! Yeah, I definitely need to put that tub to good use more from now on and add a glass of wine from time to time. I forgot what I'd been missing! Keep those prayers coming please!

      Delete
  2. Best of luck this month! I'm praying you have new, happy memories of November this year.

    And OMG, I loved Mimi Later and Hugh Jorgan! I had to read it aloud a few times...LOL, I'm a bit slow! I might have to steal that one next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha! You aren't the only one who had to say it out loud to get it...hopefully you were in a private place when you did. ;) Steal away! It was fun!

      Delete
  3. I REALLY hope this is your month :) I also ovulated late, even on Femara. CD17 or 18. Fingers crossed for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That gives me hope. Congrats on your pregnancy too!!

      Delete
  4. Love the halloween pics :) Good luck, hope you ovulate soon I know that can be fustrating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. + OPK just showed, so looks like IUI will be tomorrow! I'm just happy O is coming before CD20. I have O'ed as late as CD26 before so I'll take an O on CD17!

      Delete
  5. Hi! Super cute Halloween idea! You guys are adorbs :)
    I'm waiting to O this month too. I'm on a non medicated cycle (as you probably already know) and just getting a almost +opk at cd18. Lame. I hate long cycles.
    Glad to see that you got your +opk! Good luck with the IUI!!

    ReplyDelete